A Greener Menu—we don’t mess with Mother Nature. She created a season for all fruits and vegetables and we obey. In the fall, our menus feature recipes using late-season berries, tomatoes, corn, and other vegetables. Winter brings savory, hearty greens, potatoes, squashes, and sweet root vegetables, as well as apples and pears from our local orchards. Spring will find us celebrating the first shoots of spinach, asparagus, peas, and wild fare, like ramps, fiddleheads, and mushrooms.
We are passionate about creating menus that incorporate ingredients in their peak season. We purchase locally through our partnerships with EA Parker Farms, Nalls Produce, Davis Mushroom, Firefly Farms, H&S Bakery, Bumblefish Sushi, and Taharka Brothers Ice Cream.
In addition to our focus on the freshest, local ingredients, we practice the following environmentally friendly purchasing standards:
• One hundred percent of milk purchased is hormone-free
• All shell and liquid eggs purchased are cage-free
• All fresh and frozen fish will be Monterey Bay Aquarium Seafood Watch “Best Choice” (Green List) designated for the region in which it is purchased
• All canned Skipjack and Albacore Tuna is sustainability sourced
• Preference to Fair Trade products
We also commit to purchasing at least 30 percent of food and food-related services from within 150 miles of the Georgetown campus and at least 40 percent of food and food-related services from within 250 miles of Washington DC by July 1, 2017. Some of our local vendors include:
H & S Bread – Annapolis MD
Ice Cream – Hershey, Harrisburg PA
Dairy – Cumberland Farms, Baltimore MD
Coca Cola – Washington DC
Seafood – Samuel’s and Son’s – Philadelphia PA
Sushi – Bumblefish – Rockville MD